05 February 2009

Foot Glove Love

On January 25, Refuge Youth loaded our backpacks with socks, coats, hats and scarves and headed to Seattle to pass them out. Two years ago, I was looking at my mom and dad's giant wicker basket full of perfectly good unmatched socks. Then something crazy washed over me: I had a desire to match them. Because once they were matched, they would be useful and I would be able to give them away to homeless people. I have always had a place in my heart for them, and this was a practical way to bless them. I didn't want to do this alone, so I enlisted the help of our youth ministry. Foot Glove Love was born.

This year we had fewer socks to give away, but it seemed like we were able to bless more people. The whole point of this activity was to get our students to realize that we are not the most important people in this world. Life isn't just about looking out for ourselves, but looking out for and taking care of those around us as well. If you'd like to contribute to or participate in next year's Foot Glove Love, please let me know.


1 comment:

Mollz said...

Heather, you are amazing! Your photos, your spirit... I've always believed that if there were an angel on Earth, you'd be it... Foot Glove Love, what an awesome idea! Love the photos, you capture something beautiful every time!